Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community > Truck Conversion Talk > Coach In The Making
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-09-2024, 12:32 AM   #1

Default ‘82 359 Peterbilt Remake

Hi guys,

I started in on redoing my motorhome this year because I didn’t like the layout and the aluminum sided box with unsealed seams that wicked water in by capillary action around every wall penetration annoyed me with all the moisture and weeping marks down the walls inside. So, I’ve opted for a 102”x102”x25’ FRP box with aluminum roof. I’ve transverse mounted a custom 150 gallon fuel tank, put the fresh water tank and sewer tank between the frame rails to save space outside the frame rails for storage, etc.. The old box also had no slide room, so I’m adding in a 12 footer x 8’ tall unit from Liftco. I’ll attempt to walk you through my process, and any helpful thoughts you may share along the way will be appreciated. Currently the box is mounted, tanks are in, slide room is getting framed in. I’ll get photos and progress reports coming right along soon.

DPRIVAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2024, 12:59 AM   #2

Here’s how it looked 10 years ago. We’ve had it about 18 years now. Bought it from some race car dudes in Illinois. Flew there and picked it up in January at the airport in St.Louis and drove it back out to CA. That’s when I discovered all the marvelous leaks from everywhere. Water from the duals flooding across the floor from a gap around the toilet drop pipe, water around every frame through the walls, water pouring down between the cab and box at the pass-through . What an adventure!
Walmart was our friend! Grabbed some spray foam for the holes through the floor under the shower and toilet, etc., that got the springs of water welling up from below quelled. Got an airline with tire chuck and cord reel for the tubing, bought a bicycle inner tube, stuffed it between the top of the cab and box, above the pass-through and partially inflated it, which slowed the waterfall to a gentle trickle. Later on I put in a beautiful frame at the pass-thru with lovely seals, and that’s when I discovered the aluminum skin seams were not sealed.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0406.jpg  
DPRIVAT is offline   Reply With Quote